Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween Horror

Halloween started off great… but finished worse than I ever could have imagined.

KEW had a blast at the Saturday play date at Tumblebums. They did an amazing job there of having Halloween activities for the little ones that were safe and fun. Face painting was a huge hit for KEW since she was able to become a kitty… again (and still). We got a fun filled (and candy free) loot bag to take home that is still providing entertainment. All was good for Saturday.

Sunday, Halloween, was not upon us. We managed to get a bit of a sleep in, which I am still thankful for. A lazy morning ensued since we didn’t have anywhere to go for the day. KEW & A had the usual pancake breakfast and some toons on the TV – a weekend tradition. We followed that with some pumpkin carving, which of course included more of the regular kitty cat theme around here as one of the pumpkins was carved with a cat face. Dora the Explorer noodles for lunch and all was still good.

The afternoon nap didn’t actually happen, but KEW did give it a good try. She was just too excited for the whole Trick or Treat thing… and to get in to that princess dress! We settled for a bit of quiet time and play and then for an early bubble bath. This gave me the opportunity to get her hair wet in preparation for the curlers – I was hoping for a big curly princess doo!

On went the pink house coat and time for hair curlers! KEW sat so still and was so patient with the whole process. I was thrilled… and in shock. We had done a quick trial run on Saturday morning, which went pretty well, but this was amazing. This kid never sits still… or at least not when you want her to! Her excitement over the princess set up took over… it felt like she wanted to be a princess in every way possible! She would gently touch the curlers, but only had to be told once not to play with them or they would fall out. I’m still in awe of this. My kid might be in curlers more often!

Dinner… well, not surprisingly, did not go well. Trying to get some food in this kid was a challenge… there was just way too much excitement. She managed to get two bites of lasagna down and I’m not going to talk about the third bite.

Next up – the costume!!! I put on layers including a t-shirt, sweater and long sleeve shirt along with some pants to be topped off by THE dress. Well I couldn’t quite get the dress over her curlers (was trying to leave them in as long as possible) so we had to take them out. Her hair wasn’t totally dry so we used the hair dryer a bit. KEW was not too thrilled with the noise or the heat… so that didn’t last long. Finally I had to admit defeat and take the curlers out. There was more body to her hair than normal… and we did get one really good ringlet like curl on the side… but ultimately not the curls I was hoping for. KEW didn’t notice or care… so all was still good! Besides, getting those curlers out meant she could get the dress on!

Hair – check.
Dress – check.
Tiara – check.
Princess boots – check.
Purple glitter hearts on her cheeks – check.
Princess flashlight – check.
Princess treat bag – check.
Many pictures – check.

We were ready to roll!

Off we went over to Grandma and Grandpa’s house to make an appearance and to pick up Grandma to join us for the fun (Grandpa stayed home to give out treats). Then back to the hood to make the round of houses. I didn’t expect to go as far as we did, but KEW was having a blast and instead of the traditional “Trick or Treat” when the door opened, she went for “Boo”! Needless to say a purple and pink princess wasn’t too scary… but many on the other side of the door played along which added to the fun.

After taking Grandma back home we were in to wind down mode and attempting to get ready for bed. One treat from the goody bag (the one and only Reese’s Peanut Butter cup) and then in to the tub to attempt to get the glitter off (you can only attempt to get glitter off as it has more staying power than Donnie Osmond). KEW was starting to get tired… the lack of nap, food and extra excitement was taking its toll. Off she went to bed with not much of the usual stall… but definitely later than “normal”. All was good… for now.

Later that evening the real horror began. KEW woke around 1am and was not happy. She came to Mama’s bed to try to get back to sleep and feel safe. Unfortunately sleep was not happening. She tossed and turned and kicked and fidgeted and fussed and cried and screamed and cried and did I mention that she screamed? And cried? She could not settle and was so afraid… of something.

It took a while, but she finally started talking about the monsters in her room – under her bed and in her closet. So you might think this is a whole post Halloween trauma… but it’s not. I blame this 100% on a show called ‘Toopy and Binoo’. I dislike this show… a lot. On any given day this show makes me a little bonkers… but KEW likes it, so I tolerate it. Treehouse is generally a great station for toddlers/preschoolers… but not on Sunday. They aired an episode of T&B that wasn’t even Halloween themed… but was all about finding the home for the little monster that they found. They checked with the monster in the closet.
And the monster under the bed.
And the monster in the toy box.
And so on.
Monsters! Monsters! Monsters!

Did they forget that little ones have an active imagination and already think there are monsters in their room? Did they really think that a cartoon talking about all of the monsters in a bedroom was a GOOD idea?


They are SOOOOOOO getting a letter from this frustrated Mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment