Saturday, October 10, 2009

Giving Thanks...




So I caught myself in a bit of a pity party this morning after yet another round with Stinky Bum. I’m tired, I’m still recovering from being sick, my kid has been sick for a week and I’m frustrated that all of my efforts just aren’t making her well. Not to mention the fact that it was about 9am and I had already been up for nearly 4 hours. So I hit a weak moment of why this and why not that and poor poor me. Then I caught myself – this could be so much worse – on so many levels.

One of the gals I have worked with for years has a daughter in rehab in Vancouver after spending about 6 weeks in Children’s Hospital not knowing whether she was going to live or die. A gal I worked with died a couple of months ago from cancer… just before her 38th birthday. Ya, things could be a hell of a lot worse.

I started thinking about all of the things that I am so lucky to have… and really ran with it. I have an amazing daughter, who although she has “Stinky Bum” right now, can still laugh and smile and dance and is learning new words by the second – and I love her more than anything I ever could have imagined. I have an incredible family who love me and are so supportive – and they love each other. I have friends who I may not get to see as often as I would like, but are and will be there whenever I need them. I have a job. I have a place to live. I can put good food on the table for me and my daughter. And I could go on (did a bit more, but you get the point). Compared to way too many out there, I live a really good life. Ok, pity party over.


So then I went on FB and saw a few status updates and some of them included complaints about whatever was going on in their life. It got me thinking more and more about how ungrateful we can be – and on the Thanksgiving long weekend to boot! Things that others have that make me jealous, they are complaining about. Things that I have that are probably making other jealous of… I complain about. Wow… this really has to stop!

So here is my wish for this Thanksgiving - if you catch me bitching about something that I should be grateful for – call me on it. I need to stop – and honestly, so do you. So be prepared… it may be subtle or it may be direct… but I’m gonna start calling you out too.

1 comment:

  1. I've had the same revelation a lot lately....while things could certainly be better in certain areas, things really are pretty damn effing fantastic when I think about it. We're really so lucky compared to a lot of people... which goes back to what I've been posting a lot lately on FB...."life is good."

    ReplyDelete