Saturday, October 23, 2010

TSNTP - Roxy

A while ago a friend posted on her blog about a TSN Turning Point in her life. This made me start to think of some of the pivotal points in my life. Moments when you knew something was going to change – good, bad or otherwise. Although the moment I’m going to share now isn’t the first changing moment in my life… it is one that is standing clear in my mind at this time… so here goes.

In 2000 I started working at Royal Roads University and there will be a TSN Turning Point blog for that whole change another time. I started there in a position called a Senior Learning Support Associate. I know, what the heck does that mean? Well, it wasn’t really clear to anyone what distinguished between the ranks of admin staff at the university, so they had struck a committee with HR and other admin staff in that rank to try and work through a process for advancement for staff. I honestly don’t remember much about the meetings or who else was on the committee… but I do remember my dear friend that we’ll call Roxy.

Roxy is one of those people who I connected with right away. Smart and funny and not afraid to speak her mind – a woman I could respect, admire and befriend. Since I was the newbie in the place I didn’t have as much to contribute (or at least wasn’t sure if I had much to contribute), but I remember her making me feel welcome. I can remember the moment coming out of one of the meetings on the third floor of the castle and stopping at the top of the circular staircase (she was going down a floor, I was continuing to the end of the hall). We were touching base about the meeting and then chatting. When we finished the conversation I remember saying to myself “I like her. I think we are going to get along great.”

I can’t tell you the exact moment we became such good friends, but I can tell you that as of today I consider her one of my best friends. She is loyal, hardworking, passionate and funny as hell. She loves books and animals more than anyone I know. She is smart as a whip but way too humble about it. She has the best shoe collection ever and makes me jealous of her amazing ability to walk around in 3-5 (or 6?) inch heels without nary a stumble or a complaint. She has a personality that draws a crowd… all the while wishing she was home with her books and her family (dogs, cats and D – in no specific order) around a roaring fire. We can easily go days (weeks?) without talking because we get too caught up in life… but then pick right up without a problem. If I ever have to get in to a fight, I pick her for my team. Best of all, she didn’t kick me out of the club when I told her MY big life changing news.

People like this don’t come in to your life often. The good this is that I know no matter where we are in the world… she will always be a part of my life.

‘Cause she knows I’ll hunt her down if she tries to hide!

No comments:

Post a Comment